The Browning High Power was designed by American firearms inventor John Browning in 1914. The High Power got its name due to the pistol’s capacity of thirteen rounds. At the time, this was approximately double the capacity of a standard 1911 pistol. John Browning passed away in 1926, several years before the final version of the Browning High Power was brought to market. However, his legacy lives on with one of the most widely used pistols on the planet. The Browning High power has been in production ever since and it’s been issued for military service in over fifty countries. The High Power was also used in World War II by both Allied and Axis forces. In 1940, the Germans took over the FN factory in Belgium which was producing the High Power pistols. From then on, the High Power was one of the few firearms found on both sides of the war.